Sunday 22 January 2017

Day 6: Taupo to Turangi

Bike Day 6
Trip Day 10
31.31 miles

Today I would jump out of a plane. No other way to describe it; I was just going to jump out of a plane today.

I had been informed by a few people whilst back in the UK that skydiving over Lake Taupo was one of the best things they had done when they had visited. Skydiving for me has never been at the top of my bucket list but I certainly couldn't bear the thought of coming all this way and not leaping out of a plane at 12,000ft.

I left my beloved dorm mates behind and headed back into town to await my shuttle to the jump site. A bright yellow stretch hummer welcomed me at the info centre. Subtle. Certainly not my style but it beat a decrepit minibus any day of the week. In I hopped and I was on the way to the airport where I would be leaping from the plane. The ride to the airport was pleasant although I was the only person in the hummer so it felt a little awkward to say the least. I don't think the inventor of the stretch hummer had somebody like me in mind when they made the design...

Jump site. Arrived. Feeling OK. Am not overly afraid of heights so am not really feeling any nerves yet. Into the entrance of the hangar. Registered. Signed my life away. Chose to upgrade my package to include a "freefall video and photos bundle". Well, nobody would believe that I had done it unless I had photographic evidence right? Into the hanger itself and we get kitted up. I'm to be jumping alongside a nervous-looking Malaysian guy and two lads from Essex. Lads lads lads.... One of the Essex Boys had done a jump before back home and assured me that I would proper love it. I hope he's right.

I was introduced to my instructor and tandem partner. Because jumping out of a plane solo without any experience is a bloody silly idea, you are teamed up with a qualified skydiver who does the important job of pulling the chute. You strap to the front of said instructor using a series of straps and a harness; you end the day looking like you're rigged in one of those baby-carrying front slings. My instructor that day was a German fellow called Albert; a very pleasant and experienced chap, albeit with a slightly off putting accent. Just a note now to say that I mean no offence to any of my native German-speaking friends; I believe the Germanic accent to be subtle and underappreciated. But Albert sounded like a villain from an Indiana Jones film. He made the phrase: "we'll make sure you'll have fun" sound like and threat. I did not feel overly at ease but I ignore it and chatted away before it was time to jump.

I was then introduced to my cameraman who would jump from the plane when me and Albert did and film/take photos of my soon-to-be-terrified little face. What a job! We were then all loaded into this tiny little fixed wing plane which soon took to the skies. My God, we are going pretty high, eh? I was then hoisted onto Albert's lap where he tightened me up and adjusted my crash hat and goggles. I'd be first out the door at 12,000ft. We shuffle to the open door, my legs dangling out the side, turn to camera for a last minute photo and then we're out and flying.

The initial few seconds are a complete blur to me; it takes around 5 seconds of free fall for the brain to work out what it is you're doing and just stupid that activity is. The feeling of falling at that speed is simply awe-inspiring, the views over Lake Taupo and the surrounding mountains a perfect backdrop. After about 45 seconds of free fall Albert pulled the cord and we both began our slow descent to the ground. That's when the testicular trauma really stepped up a gear as the harness did its job and ensured I did not slip away (not that you needed to know that...) Albert had done a great job and we posed for photos at the landing site before we ran off to do a jump with another overly excitable tourist.

I only have the photos and video on USB so cannot upload them to the blog yet. However if you follow the below link you can see a pretty sweet highlights video of the jump:

https://youtu.be/CMV7f84yw5I

Anyway that was enough excitement for the day, it was time to get back in the saddle and head South. My plan for the day was a relatively short trip around Lake Taupo to the southern tip and a town called Turangi. I planned to hit up another hostel (as they were so frequent and affordable) and work out where to go from there.

The ride started incredibly pleasantly as I rode down a lakeside cycle path which danced alongside the main road out of Taupo. I bumped into a lot of locals just out for a morning cycle alongside the lake. I could see myself retiring and settling here in many years to come. Perhaps I could get a job at the skydiving centre and freak out tourists with a spooky German accent.

Sadly all good things must come to and end and before long I was unceremoniously dumped from the quiet cycle path straight onto my old friend, State Highway 1. The verge was narrow, the hill I had started climbing was steep and the traffic was heavy. I was hot and frustrated by the time I had hit the top of the hill and the road levelled out. The one fact I used to reason with was that it gets quieter the further south you go...

To finish my short day on the bike I wheeled into the quiet town of Turangi, did a quick bit of research and located a cheap, local hostel. The Lazy Dog Hostel had free WiFi, decent room prices and was close to the town centre. Plus there was apparently a hostel dog. Winner. I checked in quickly and was shown to my dorm room, acquainting myself with a young chap who was also a cycle tourist. He was, of course, from Germany.

I finished unpacking and having a quick shower when the girl running the hostel asked if I was thinking of doing "the crossing" in the morning. I had no idea what she was talking about but bluffed and said I was thinking about it. I goggled "the crossing" and discovered that it, (real name The Tongariro Crossing), was one of the most popular one day alpine crossings in the world. The trek across volcanic land offered views of several mountain ranges, including the one used as the setting for Mt Doom in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That settled it for me; I had a day to burn as I had planned to take the train to Wellington on the Monday. I rushed to book the shuttle for the crossing for early that next morning.

Funny how things work out when you don't plan them, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your plane jump - looks like you had such fun! I say 'such fun' because I feel like you're doing a sort of extreme version of a Famous Five adventure. Lashings of ginger beer etc. Look out for smugglers.

    Also, somewhat outraged that the hostel staff were bothering you when you were in the shower "having a quick shower when the girl running the hostel asked if I was thinking of doing "the crossing"". Perverts.

    Ellie/Mrs Slagg x

    ReplyDelete