Monday 9 January 2017

Day 1: Pukekohe to Huntly

Bike day 1
Trip day 4
39.05 miles

As much as I had enjoyed my time in Auckland it was time for me to begin my journey. I didn't travel half way round the world and practise my repacking skills to have a 6 week jolly around the Auckland suburbs. I came for adventure: and by golly I was going to get it.

The morning of the 6th was my self-titled "launch day". After my two not-really-very-relaxing rest days, I had to leave the safety and security of my Auckland hostel and hit the road.

As a feat of preparation for this epic journey, one might sensibly believe that two days hiking and intensive sight-seeing is not the best idea. Indeed, as an endurance athlete (a term I shudder to even write) this certain would not be considered suitable training. However as a visitor and curious traveller, I wasn't going to allow the fact that I had to cycle the length of an entire country ruin my break.

It was an early start as ever (thank you, jetlag) and I had showered, packed my things and prepared for launch. Earlier that AM I had managed to sneak away to the Countdown supermarket and purchase supplies for the road. As I had done this before breakfast, I was hungry. As anybody who has shopped while hungry will tell you, you end up buying everything in the fecking shop... Now I was overburdened with snacks, dinners, fruit, energy drinks etc and no idea how it was going to fit on my little bike...

Back to the room. Begin the long process of packing. As I've learnt from the past few days, packing for a cycle tour is an art form. In order to minimise stopping whilst on the bike one must ensure as balanced a load over the bags as possible and that all essentials are within easy reach. The last thing you want is to unpack a set of panniers to search for a vital item. However, I had my plan and after about an hour of faffing, I had packed and was ready to go.

I also had a chance to try on my recently purchased Kathmandu waterproof jacket and fleece top. Both were excellent quality and I was glad I had made the purchase. Coincidentally if anybody reading this blog represents Kathmandu then I would be happy to test some of your products if you want to send them directly to me.

If any of you have been inspired by my writings so far to grab a bike and a bag and go travelling the world, please bear what I am about to say. Cycle touring is a bloody inconvenience. After I had lugged my four bags plus shopping plus bike down the stairs of the hostel to check out, I was already sweating. 0 miles completed and yet already aching...

Outside I assembled the bags onto the bike. Two ortlieb rear panniers bags either side of the back of the bike. One ortlieb handlebar bag on the front. One waterproof bag ratcheted to the rear frame. Shopping precariously tied to the panniers. Two water bottles on the frame. Cycle computer clipped in. Helmet on.
Fuck me this bike is heavy. I struggled to wheel it down the front steps of the hostel and down the street. God only knows how I'll carry the bloody thing if I have to. With the bike holding all the weight at the back it's like trying to manoeuvre a particularly stubborn mule. My skinny boy-like arms are going to struggle on this trip. I'm a runner, a cyclist, an ultimate Frisbee player for goodness sake. All my muscle is in my legs:

"Do you even lift, bro?"
"No, bro. Not even remotely."

Nil desperandum. First stop is a trip to the Bike Lab down the road for some inspirational chatter and use of their tyre pump. I got some more last minute advice and a pep talk from the guys before heading out the door to Britomart train station.

Now hopefully, loyal readers, you will not disappointed to find out that the first part of my epic journey was to be taken via train. As I found out a few weeks before my trip, Auckland is one of the largest cities by metropolitan area in the world. Beyond the city limits lie dozens of small towns and neighbouring settlements. This has turned the outskirts of Auckland into something of an urban sprawl and would take at least half a day if navigation to get through. I didn't have that much time and so decided to jump on a train from Auckland to Pukekohe via Papakura.

So here I was on board a train. Bike precariously leaning up against the seats opposite. I had already had one bike fall when I attempted to lean it against a wall in the train station. The front wheel of the bike, unbalanced by the heavy load at the rear, had rolled forward and toppled the bike in the middle of the station. I couldn't suffer that humiliation again I thought. I'm keeping an eye on you, bike.

Now I've found my time in New Zealand to be a relatively expensive affair. Understandable when you consider how much it must cost to import certain products into the country due to the country's remote location. However, and this seems to be the same in every "expensive" country I've visited, the cost of train travel in NZ is affordable. This hour long journey with one change had cost me $10/ £6 one way. Try travelling out of London to Guildford for that money...

Anyway I exited the train in the quiet town of Pukekohe. My destination was a highly rated campsite in the outskirts of a small town called Huntly. For my first day the distance was a relatively flat 40 miles. Easy. I took a few shots of myself striking a "first day" pose - see below - and got myself on the way.

The first 12 or so miles felt good. It was good to be in the saddle at last. The heavy load on the back of the bike made for some interesting riding and something I would have to get used to. Steering was interesting to say the least and I had my fingers pressed firmly on the brakes during the steeper downhill sections.

During the first day I only hit one rather nasty alpine-style climb which required me to jump to the lowest gears and grind out a sluggish 6mph. Tractors and trucks overtook me as I took my time to make my way to the top. At the peak I turned around to admire the view of this epic climb, only to discover I had only really pushed my way up an average sized hill. "Get over yourself, Yard" I thought, "there are much bigger hills than that to come.

I also had some trouble as it seemed I was always cycling into New Zealand's famous prevailing winds. With such a heavy bike it made steering all the more tricky. It was also playing havoc with my skin. I'm not sure if there's a wind-burn cream but by the end of the first day I felt as if someone had taken a grater to my nose. I'd be riding to Stirling Point in a balaclava at this rate.

The hills eventually made way for farmland as my route plotted its way alongside the River Waikato. With around 15 miles to go I suddenly found myself in a spot of bother. I had had several days off the bike, I was fully fit and I was riding on relatively flat ground. So why could I not concentrate? Why was I struggling to maintain 10mph on a flat section of road? Certainly some of the roads on the latter part of the journey were long, straight and flat. Not overly inspiring. First day nerves perhaps. I continued to pedal and before long came across the camp site.

The site was on the outskirts of the town of Huntly and positioned just off the main highway: State Highway 1. It was a simple campsite but with a great location of the banks of Lake Hakanoa. The campsite was empty save for an elderly German couple who informed me that the camp managers were due later. In typical New Zealand camping custom, they would arrive when they wanted to arrive. I took the bike to the camping site and set up.

The ground was hard and would not take the pegs well. The tent was unfamiliar to me and took and took a while to erect. My stomach and legs both complained as I struggled to get set up. This wouldn't take so long every day would it? I'd spend the entire trip installing my bloody campsite at this rate. Eventually I was set and I headed to the kitchen facilities to make my dinner for the evening.

Travelling light on the bike (to avoid excess weight) meant that my provisions and cooking equipment were minimal. That night I feasted on cheese and salad sandwiches and instant noodles. Hit just the the spot.

I got chatting to a British couple who were drinking beer and playing cards at the table next to me. She was from Nottingham and he from Portsmouth. Bloody typical, you travel halfway across the world and the first person you chat to on the road is from the same neck of the woods as you. They both worked aboard a private yacht which was currently moored in Auckland. They told me of the government run campsites scattered across the country. They told me of the top places to visit and where not to bother.

I finally met the owners of the campsite: an older kiwi couple called Bob and Carol. I handed them my €10 tent fees and chatted to them about my trip. They ran a great, relaxed site and made me feel very welcome. They talked me through my route, filled my water bottles and do made sure all my devices were charged before I headed to bed.

A great end to a tricky first day, and it was only to get harder from here. But that was for tomorrow me to worry about. For now, it was time for a well earned rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment